Sunday, July 13, 2014

Nearing the end of the journey

Shalom friends,
    This past week has been a bit different in that three of the four days I was in the community and teaching ESL. It has been difficult for me because I have been going through a lot of thoughts and just feeling a sense of lost. It's hard to describe and even if I tried I would not make sense. However, it was good to spend time with the refugees and being able to connect more. On July 4th, I had an amazing time celebrating the holiday in the garden with the refugees and eating more international foods and just getting to know people. It was so neat to see everyone gather and hang out. It was probably the best 4th I ever had and then continuing the celebration with my team was the cherry on top. ;)
     For the past two weeks, Morgan and I have been teaching English to a 17 year old Congo girl, who is very bright. We had the opportunity to bake cookies with her, which was fun. Then we had the chance to do some singing with her and I'm excited to continue the singing and be able to just connect with her that way.
      On Thursday, my team and I went camping, which was my first time. So here are some new things that I experienced: pitching a tent and sleeping in it, swimming in the lake at night, cooking over the fire with pots and pans, and tubing down the river. I'm not an over venturous girl but it was so much fun and I loved spending every moment of it with my team. I felt like I was growing closer and closer to them. They mean so much to me and truly team building, relating, and bonding has definitely changed my perspective as to how a team interacts with each other.
     
   Some prayer requests:
  1. Being okay to cry and show emotion as I say good-bye to my refugee families
  2. Truly making the best of every opportunity and finishing strong with the short termers and with each other
  3. Safe travels back home on July 22

No comments:

Post a Comment